The Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services is committed to ensuring that Ontario's communities are supported and protected by law enforcement and public safety systems that are safe, secure, effective, efficient and accountable.
The ministry's responsibilities fall into the following categories:
- establishes, maintains, operates and monitors Ontario's adult correctional institutions and probation and parole offices
- has jurisdiction over adult offenders under parole supervision, as granted by the Ontario Parole Board, and
- provides programs and facilities designed to assist in offender rehabilitation.
Public safety and security
- maintains the physical and economic security of Ontario, by coordinating public safety initiatives among municipal, fire and emergency services organizations within and outside of Ontario, and
- delivers grant programs and fosters partnerships to minimize or eliminate hazards to persons or property through public education initiatives, emergency measures, scientific investigations, coordination of fire safety services and the coroner's system.
- oversees policing services throughout Ontario, including the Ontario Provincial Police
- licenses, regulates and investigates the activities of private investigation and security agencies/individuals in Ontario.