Ministry of the
Solicitor General

Renew or replace a licence

Renew, replace or change information on a security guard or private investigator licence

If your licence or registration expires between March 16 and June 16, 2020, it will be automatically extended for 90 days.

Before the extended expiration date of 90 days, you will need to submit a renewal application for the licence or registration, or it will expire.

All licence renewals are valid for two years. Visit the ServiceOntario website to:

  • renew your licence
  • request a new licence card to replace a lost, stolen or damaged licence
  • change the name on your licence card due to a legal name change under the Change of Name Act or a change in marital status
  • change your address or criminal record status
  • change your licence category.

Please note that ServiceOntario does not accept applications at its service counters.

Processing time

Please apply to renew your licence at least 30 business days before your licence expires to ensure continuity of licensing.

Individual responsibilities

If your licence card is lost, stolen or damaged, please apply to replace it immediately. Working without a valid licence can lead to charges.

If you change your address, or if you are convicted of a prescribed offence, you must notify the ministry within five business days.

Learn more

For more information about renewing or replacing a licence, read Questions and answers – security guard and private investigator licences.

If you have other questions about applying for a security guard or private investigator licence, contact customer service.

Updates are posted in News and Information.