Facilities Housing Vulnerable Occupants: Updated Resources
FACILITIES HOUSING VULNERABLE OCCUPANTS:
November 18, 2016
Over the past several months, the Office of the Fire Marshal and Emergency Management (OFMEM) has updated resources posted on its Web site regarding facilities housing vulnerable occupants. Changes made are administrative in nature and were driven in large part by feedback and queries received from the fire service and facility operators. Highlights of changes are as follows:
- Technical guideline TG-01-2013, Staffing Levels in Care Occupancies, Care and Treatment Occupancies and Retirement Homes
- The guideline was reformatted for compliance with Ontario Web accessibility standards and renumbered TG-03-2016.
- Appendix E, “Fire Drill Scenario Development”, was removed from the guideline and added to Fire Marshal’s Directive 2014-002 as Annex A.
- Fire Marshal’s Directive 2014-002, Vulnerable Occupancies – Fire Drill Scenarios, Fire Drill Observations, Fire Safety Inspections
- Annex A, “Fire Drill Scenario”
- Formerly Appendix E of guideline TG‑01‑2013
- Revisions were made to improve clarity.
- Annex B, “Annual Inspection Checklist for Care Occupancies, Care and Treatment Occupancies, and Retirement Homes”
- The Annual Inspection Checklist became Annex B of the directive.
- Fire Code references were updated to reflect numbering in the Fire Code (Ontario Regulation 213/07, as amended, current to January 1, 2015).
- OFMEM Web Portal: Care Occupancies, Care and Treatment Occupancies, and Retirement Homes
- New questions and answers about the Registry of Vulnerable Occupancies
- New questions and answers about mandatory training
The OFMEM encourages periodic visits to the Web portal “Care Occupancies, Care and Treatment Occupancies, and Retirement Homes”. Enquiries regarding the portal and its content should be directed to Technical Services, OFMEM. Staff members can be reached by telephone at (647) 329‑1100 or by e-mail at FireSafetyStandards@ontario.ca.