Stop Fire Before it Starts This Halloween
Stop Fire Before it Starts this Halloween
Fire prevention is the key
October 27, 2011
As Ontario households get ready for Halloween, the Fire Marshal is urging everyone to focus on preventing fire both inside and outside their homes.
Simple steps for stopping fire before it starts include:
- Use battery operated flameless candles or glow sticks to light up your carved pumpkins and other decorations.
- If you use real candles, the risk of having a fire increases. Real candles must be kept away from anything that can burn. Keep them out of reach of children and pets. Blow candles out before leaving the room.
- To keep families safe from fire this Halloween, the OFM has developed a Halloween Safety Tips sheet geared to home safety.
“Stay safe this Halloween by using battery-powered candles, lights or glow sticks to light up your carved pumpkins and other decorations,” says Ontario Fire Marshal Ted Wieclawek. “Avoid using real candles as they can start a fire that can ruin your Halloween celebrations. Test your smoke alarms to make sure they work. In the event a fire starts in your home, you need to know right away.”
- Gina Pontikas, Office of the Fire Marshal, 416-325-3155
- Bev Gilbert, Office of the Fire Marshal, 416-325-3178