Cruelty to animals will not be tolerated in Ontario.
If you believe that an animal is in distress, or to report suspected animal abuse:
Ontario has the strongest animal welfare legislation in Canada. We protect animals by enforcing strong rules and tough penalties.
In Ontario, it is an offence to:
- cause or permit distress to an animal
- cause harm to a law enforcement animal
- train or permit animals to fight other animals
- own or possess equipment or structures used in animal fighting
- fail to comply with standards of care applicable to all animals
- obstruct an OSPCA inspector or agent
Convictions can result in sentences that may include up to two years in jail, fines of up to $60,000, and a lifetime ban on animal ownership, as well as other penalties.
Our goal is to ensure that Ontario’s animals are protected and treated in the humane manner that our society expects.